Saturday, June 7, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I' am 22 years old and this fall I will be starting my senior year at SJSU. I am majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Business. This is my 4th online class so I am pretty familiar with this...although using all the google stuff is new to me. I currently work for the Department of Veterans Affairs at their Veterans Hospital in Palo Alto. The Veterans Hospital only treats patients that are Veterans of the U.S Military so I get to talk to a lot of Veterans who fought in WW2, Vietnam and even soldiers coming back from Iraq. I work as a Program Support Clerk for the Recreation Therapy Service. Just for your information Recreation Therapy is the use of therapeutic interventions to improve physical, cognitive, social, emotional and spiritual functioning.

I really thought the Communication Accommodation Theory in chapter 2 was interesting. CAT specifies how two people from different cultures interact in ways that reflect their personal goals and cultural identities. For example they had Amy as an American who adopted an English accent and used British terms while trying to communicate with Elizabeth, a British citizen. A lot of times people do this to be socially accepted. It reminds me of a friend who lived in California and moved to the South. When she came back to California to visit I noticed she had a southern accent now. I have also heard it called "a case of the Madonna's" in a joking matter referring to pop star Madonna, many claim she has adopted a fake British accent.

No comments: