Thursday, June 19, 2008

Ch. 6 Ingratiation

People who practice ingratiation want to appear likable and do so by describing themselves in ways that appeal audience values. Being friendly, doing favors, giving compliments, and expressing opinions that agree with others opinions are some ways people practice ingratiation. However some people can practice authentic ingratiation which occurs when a persons motivation is to meet the demands of the situation; the desire to be liked, though important is secondary to other goals. Then you have illicit ingratiation and this occurs when people act friendly because they want to attain a certain goal such as a favor or donation.

I feel that I practice authentic ingratiation. I enjoy being well liked and would describe my self as a friendly person. However I don't do it to receive a favor, if some one did a good job on something I want to congratulate them. I think it is overwhelming easy to pick out a person who practices illicit ingratiation. For some reason I can just pick on their vibe and know that they are just being nice to try to get something from me.

No comments: