Thursday, June 12, 2008

Chapter 4: The Cognitive Component

I really found the cognitive component of listening important because it has affected my learning. I was born with a learning disability that affected my cognitive skills in listening. When I was younger and in some instances still to this day I have trouble sorting out verbal directions. When I listen to directions they sometimes don't make sense to me, I am listening to what the person is saying but it kinda comes in all jumbled in my head, it feels like I have a thousand words coming at me all at once. I need the person to repeat the directions again even though I was listening carefully the first time.

According to the chapter researchers have identified several cognitive processes that are involved in listening. They list signal acquisition/hearing, selection/attending to a signal, literal processing/interpretation or decoding, retention/memory, and comprehension/understanding.

I would say that my learning disability greatly affected my comprehension/understanding cognitive skills. Iam listening but I am not always comprehending the directions. They state that within listening there are two different kinds of listening habitual and optimum. Habitual listening adds little to out cognitive load, it allows us to understand others talk efficiently. However optimum requries much more cognitive capacity. So perhaps I have a harder time at optimum listening.

I am alot better now but I still have moments where I am like ???????? after a teacher gives verbal directions.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

I sometimes have that same problem to, when it comes to directions. Just the other weekend I was in San Francisco and my mom gave me directions on how to get out of the parking garage and onto 280. All the turns and everything she said confused to a point where I had no idea what she was talking about and was just like okay you need to repeat that because I have no idea what you just said.