Saturday, June 14, 2008

Ch.14 Self-Monitoring Behavior

I really liked the section about Self-Monitoring Behavior because after reading the section I feel like I can apply to real life because I have friends who fit certain decriptions in the book perfect.
Within Self-Monitoring Behavior there are two types of people, high self monitors who pay close attention to their own behaviors and to that of others in soical situations. High self monitors adjust their interaction goals in a given situation and are considered social chameleons they also like be the center of attention and can decieve by acting friendly even with people they dislike.

Then there are low self-monitors who have more of a prinicple view about themselves. They do not let the situation they are in change the type of person they are, they maintain their values and beliefs. They are unchanging from situation to situation.

I actually feel that I am a blend of the two. Throw me into any situation and I can adapt and fit in but I do hold certain beliefs and values that are unchanging and I will only will adapt to a point and I can still maintain my idenitity without having to compromise any of my principles or values to fit in.

However I have a friend who is totally a high-self monitior and sometimes it can bother me. I have known her forever so it bugs me when so throws her self into a new soical setting and totally changes they way she acts just so she can fit in with that group of people. She also loves being the center of attention so she will do anything just to fit in with that current crowd and stand out. She always molds herself after the crowd she is hanging out with at the time.

No comments: