Friday, July 4, 2008

Ch. 13 Conflict Styles

While dealing with conflict researchers have concluded there are five different styles that people use.

1.Competing style- low concern for others and high concern for self. This style is very assertive.
2.Accommodating style- High concern for others and low concern for self. This person is cooperative, and unassertive.
3.Collaborating style- high concern for self and others. This style is assertive and cooperative.
4.Withdrawing style- Little concern for self and others. People who use this style tend to avoid the situation.
5.Compromising style- moderate concern for self and others. Shows moderate amounts of assertiveness and cooperation.

I hate to admit it but I feel that I use the accommodating style. I really hate conflict and sometimes feel uncomfortable when it does arise. Some advantages of accommodating style is that people can show reasonableness, can improve relationships, can keep another person from harming them. Disadvantages are may communicate lack of power, requires sacrifice of goals. I am usually pretty accommodating and I find that I get less conflict that way however I do feel that I lack power when I communicate. I think it is ok to be accommodating sometimes but I do feel that I need to show more assertiveness and stand up for myself more.


I am always accommodating to people because at times I feel it is best to be nice and that minimizes conflict. However I do need to assert more assertiveness and defend myself more.

No comments: